This madeira cake makes a great accompaniment to that perfect cuppa tea or coffee.
Soft, delicious and moist cake – your tastebuds are going to go nuts over this one… This recipe makes 2 loaves and works wonderfully for cupcakes. You could make 1 loaf and the rest cupcakes or easily halve the recipe.
1 cup castor sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup sultana
1/2 cup pecan nuts, chopped
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
Sift flour and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture alternating with the milk.
Pour into greased and lined loaf tins.
Bake at 180 degrees for an hour.
Cupcakes will obviously need much less time. Approximately 20 minutes.
You can top the cake with glaze but it taste fabulous without it.
– You can omit the nuts and raisins. It taste great plain too…
– Add cherries, other types of nuts.
– Try it with a smear of butter….
– If you would like to use buttermilk, you will need an added 1/4 cup. It’s thicker than milk. I usually use buttermilk.
– Make your own buttermilk by adding 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar and leave to stand for about 10 minutes.