I am usually known for a lekker salad, the usual cucumber, lettuce, olives, feta, strawberries, kiwis… Oh, the list just goes on… I believe there’s no limit to what goes in a salad so long as you happy with it and going to enjoy it.
I have never used a protein in my salad like chicken or beef or prawns before until my client asked for a chicken salad. I know she doesn’t like heat so I had to step up my game to find a chicken recipe thats going to fit in with the other ingredients of my salad, be flavorful, delicious and one that can be served cold.
It’s always a challenge trying out someone else’s recipe from the Internet hence the main reason for this blog. I try it, if it’s good I blog it!
Ok, back to the recipe… I have included my adaptation of Asian chicken and I will also share my salad ingredients. Don’t let the long list of items scare you. This is sooo simple…
For the chicken:
1kg chicken fillet
1/2 cup apple cider
5 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
3 tablespoons crushed garlic
salt to taste
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tsp chilli flakes
Stir the marinade ingredients together.
Now there are a few options you can use:
– Marinade the chicken overnight and cook through when required on stove top or oven. Don’t waste the marinade it’s delicious. You can baste your chicken if using an oven.
– Boil the marinade – it will thicken a little. Cook chicken in salted water with a teaspoon of thyme, a few pepper balls and a teaspoon of crushed garlic until just cooked through. Then pour over the marinade, mix and devour.
I used the second option. It’s not a sticky chicken and the balance of sweet and salty are perfect. It’s not often that I do Asian foods so I did adapt the original recipe to what I had on hand to make it work.
For the salad:
– Rissoni (pasta rice), cooked and cooled. Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the cooked Rissoni so it doesn’t dry out while cooling. I then added half a chopped green and red pepper, cracked black pepper, about a quarter cup of mayonnaise and about 2 tablespoons of Italian salad dressing.
– Sliced cucumber
– Butter lettuce
– Sliced red pepper
– Sliced green pepper
– Julienned carrot
– Baby tomatoes
– Black calamata olives
– Feta cheese
– Fresh coriander for decoration
– Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds
– Steamed sugar snap peas
– Steamed baby corn
– 1 mandarin
Layer lettuce leaves at the bottom, Rissoni over, then rest of ingredients. Don’t forget the yummy chicken and set it any way you like.
Source for chicken: adapted from allrecipes.com