The torpedo is an explosive sandwich with loads of different fillings. All of which are flavorsome and go together perfectly.
I’m sure all you South Africans out there are familiar with the popular ‘Wrap it Up’ take away which sells it and is a huge hit for some.
Since I live in a far away land (well far enough from take aways and from any ‘Wrap it Up’) I make it… I make most things.
Ok, so head of to your freezer and pantry and let’s put this yummy number together.
French bread/ Baguette (see breads)
Steak / Chicken filling (see below)
Salami / coldmeat / polony
Sauces (your choice)
I didn’t add in measurements because this will depend on how big your bread is or how many you have.
This is how I made mine… I usually put chips but on this occasion I skipped it.
Slice the bread long ways. Smear mayonnaise and Nandos peri-peri sauce. Grate a load of cheese. Layer chicken filling over the cheese. Add salami, lettuce and more sauce. Cover with the other piece of bread. Wrap in foil and place in the oven until heated through and cheese is melted. Slice and enjoy…
… And all that sauce and yummyness dripping… Melted cheese oozing… Go on… Make it…
250g chicken fillet, cubed (or leftovers)
Small onion, chopped
Half green pepper, cubed
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp Lemon pepper
1 Tblsp Sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp Soy sauce
1 Tblsp Butter
1/2 tsp Crushed garlic
1 tsp Texan spice
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp portuguese spice
Saute onion, add pepper and chicken. Add rest of ingredients except for the sauces. When cooked add sauces. Mix through.
– You don’t have to follow my layering steps – layer as you like.
– Shop bought french bread can also be used.
– Add in slices of tomato, cucumber, olives, feta, etc. Its all about how you going to make this yours… Let your tastebuds dance.
– Sauces: tomato, mustard, chilli, mayo, bbq, etc… There’s no limit.
– If you making the bread – let the bread cool first. The filling can be hot when putting the torpedo together.
Let me know what works for you… Or if you have any interesting fillings to share.